While working on Emily's halloween costume, I've been sidetracked by
a cold, restless children (also sick) and the general need to multitask
projects. I find that this often happens when I am ploughing through
a "serious project" (like a garment that needs to fit) or working with
sensitive fabrics - like chiffon that frays like no tomorrow- or anything
cut on a bias with the potential to stretch itself out of shape. Emily's
costume is all three. And pink, to boot. So I paused in the middle of
making it and instead sewed this simple puppet theater for doorways
it would be a nice, space-saving alternative to our cardboard puppet
stage that may not live to see the new year.
Essentially it is a yard of fabric supported by a tension rod, the sort
that shower curtains hang on. I got mine from Walmart for $1. My
aunt Rosalind gave me several yards of children's fabric some time
ago and it was perfect for a colorful project like this. Just for
decoration, I added black triangles in a row at the top to form a sort
of banner. Even with the embellishment, it took me under half an hour.
I also made a second, upper curtain to frame the kids' puppet shows.
As part of my ongoing effort to use remnants rather than going fabric
shopping again (a bit ashamed of my recent binges), I cut up an old
blue bedsheet I got at a garage sale, and sewed on strips of yellow
sweatshirt fabric that I'd bought by mistake earlier. It is also supposed
to double as Jenna's personal puppet stage should Emily end up
hogging the lower one (which she did tonight). Not the best pictures
The girls quite enjoyed playing with it tonight, although Kate
did not understand that it was not meant to be pulled down
repeatedly with a crash.
Now back to serious sewing. Halloween is 5 days away.