What you need:
- Green flannel or felt for the pod
- Green felt for the calyx
- Green velcro for the stem - see the strawberry post for how to make this.
- Some beads (completely optional)
in addition to sewing thread and polyfill.
Here's the printable pattern for the pea pods,
as well as the carrot found in this earlier post.
- Cut out two pod pieces.
- Place the velcro stem between the top part of the pod pieces so that most of the stem is hidden in the pod as shown.
- Stitch around the outline, leaving a gap of about an inch, backstitching on either sides of the gap.
- Turn right side out. The velcro stem will be pointing outwards.
- Stuff the pod with polyfill. If you want to insert beads for the added tactile experience of peas-in-the-pod, do so now. I did this for one pod, then got lazy and decided not to for the others.
- Stitch the opening shut.
- Stitch the calyx around the top of the pod.
- Make a whole bunch of pea pods.
- Stick them on the pea plant.