Monday, September 13, 2010
Tea Party Behind The Scenes - Papier Mache
We only made one thing of papier mache for the party - the teapot pinata. We used the flour-and-water-and-salt recipe (equal parts water to flour and a teaspoon of salt for anti-mould purposes) for the paste. Last year we used white glue and water. Having tried both, I'll say that I much prefer the glue and water version, even if it is one thousand times messier. Maybe it's something to do with how glue hardens in a plasticky binding-y way while flour does it in a rock-brittle-plaster-y way, I dunno.
We liked that everyone could help make it and paint it.
And unlike the Hello Kitty pinata, we were not bound to the official licensed-character colors. The girls chose how they wanted to decorate the teapot and everyone got messy painting it.
On the day of the party, it got some good whacks. They were merciless.
Here's how much the kids liked it - they beat it to a pulp even when it was down and all the loot was plundered.
Hello Kitty lasted about three times as long, and expired more gracefully, but it's hard to tell if it was because it was a sturdier pinata or if the kids were a year older and a year stronger. The scientific side of me is seriously tempted to invite the same bunch of kids over each year to test out different pinatas, but it would be a flawed experiment from the start, since they'd keep getting better and better sluggers. Imagine the possibilities, though, and how much fun we'll have!