Some of you asked how I made the girls' musketeer boots, so this is the how-to post. They are actual boots, not boot-covers, and they were made to fit each girl.
I began by tracing around their feet to make the sole pattern. I also used my old ballet slipper patterns, much adjusted in both shape and size, because my kids' feet have since grown, for the vamps.
Here is a paper muslin.
Note that, to get a nice rounded toe area (as opposed to flat and squashed), the vamp (green part) is actually bigger than the sole in the toe area. I eased this around the edge of the sole the same way I baste/ ease in set-in-sleeves into an armhole. If you do it right, you will not get gathers or puckers or pleats -
only a rounded and roomy toe portion.
The boots have a back zipper, so the kids can put them on and take them off by themselves. They are dress-up clothes, not merely costumes, remember - so they needed to be kid-friendly. I thought you'd enjoy this picture of unmatching zippers - I used whatever I could find in my stash so I wouldn't have to go out to the fabric store yet again.
Here is the link to the pattern pieces, which you can print out in three sizes, along with an instruction sheet. In addition to that, I'll just share extra photos and notes.
1 The patterns are in three sizes - I have included the age of the wearer and her approximate shoe size on each page, for your reference.
2 The patterns are somewhat rough. In other words, if the seams don't line up perfectly and you have to trim sticky-out bits off, that's how they are. I didn't take the time to refine the patterns - these were my first drafts, and I refined and shaped the fit on the girls' legs and feet as I assembled the boot. Don't worry - these are pretty decent patterns and they will work, and the boots will fit; just don't expect them to be like commercial patterns that have been digitally refined.
3 The templates have NO SEAM ALLOWANCES. Please add your own.
4 The largest size (for the 7-year-old) is incomplete because the shaft piece was too long for the paper. I couldn't be bothered to trace it out on a second bit of paper and have you stick it all together - you can do that yourself. The pattern template has instructions to add the missing 2" to the dotted line at the top. For the same reason, I didn't draw in the cuff pieces. You can sort of cut your own out by looking at the cuff pieces of the other 2 sizes (5-year-old and 3.5-year-old)
5 Just so we're on the same page with boot terminology,
- the shaft is the tall part of the boot that wraps around your leg
- the vamp is the part of the boot that covers your foot
- the sole is the thing under your foot
6 There is an instruction sheet that tells you how to turn the pattern into the actual boot. Obviously the number of pieces shown is for ONE boot. You repeat the same thing for the second boot, but remember to cut the sole in mirror image so you don't end up with two left feet. Ha!
7 These are the materials I used:
- Satin for the outer fabric
- Low-loft batting
- Craft-weight fusible interfacing aka craft fuse
- Cheap acrylic felt for the lining
- Rubber mat (the kind that locks together in pieces for children's floor playmats). Mine was 1/2" and I bought my 2'x2' square for under $4 here because they let me buy just one piece. You can also get them from Walmart and Home Depot, I've heard. Whether you'd have to buy a whole set of six or just one piece, I don't know. I hot-glued my rubber soles onto the felt sole of the boot, but you could also use something more footwear-specific, like Shoe Goo. Here is where I got the idea for the soles.
- Zippers - one for each boot; they should be longer than the opening, and the opening should extend through the entire shaft and about 1" into the vamp.
The embellishment on these boots was mostly a gold cord for the boot laces and boot cuffs.
I ran out of this cord for Jenna's boots, so I satin-stiched a line of trim on the boot cuffs instead. Slower, but it worked.
So three pairs of dress-up boots to wear indoors and out. Emily wore hers at her school's costume parade, but I didn't finish Jenna's and Kate's till the day after Halloween.
Now to process the very colorful photos of Jenna's party so I can share them with you!