These gifts are not archery-related at all but I thought I'd share them here because they involve fabric and sewing (and I know you like both).
Jenna and Kate sewed these simple pillow case dresses for Emily's 18" doll. We used Cindy's pattern here. Believe it or not, I've never made a pillowcase dress. This was my first time. And while we're on the subject, here's a list of Popular Sewing Projects I've Never Made:
- crayon roll
- zippered pouch
- simple tote bag
- designer fabric key fob
- patchwork pillow cover
- shirred top
- ruffled apron
- girl's dress from men's shirt refashion (or anything-from-men's-shirt refashion, really)
Anyway, this is the dress Jenna made.
She needed quite a bit of help, even with pins and stitching lines drawn with marker ink. Sewing is only 30% about actual machine-manipulation. The other 70% is visualizing how pieces fit together to get the outcome you want. Jenna was excellent at the first 30% but she still has a long way to go with the latter 70%. It's something that comes with age, which I have a lot of, so I helped her.
This is the dress from Kate. And by that, I mean Kate serged all the edges and chose the ribbon and I sewed the actual seams and hems. Kate only wanted to make a dress because she saw Jenna making one. Hurrah for positive peer pressure.
I, of course, copped out on handmade gifts. I did, however, give Emily fabric., because that's what every good mother does, right? These fabrics are delightfully pre-printed to cut out to make a doll and clothes
which we started on this evening, finishing two legs and two arms. It's hard for a little girl to sew around those skinny doll feet and thumbs! Emily got her first lesson in seam ripping. She thought it was cool.
Note the fine print. This is very important for preventing ridiculous attempts to engage Mom when she's busy (and being crabby) in her other domestic roles. Do your children do this, too? Throw common sense out the window and embrace bad timing when they're hungry and/or sleepy, I mean?