Finished Jenna's hoodie. One down, two (for Emily) to go.
My contribution to the color scheme was this yard of this charcoal fleece. Jenna picked the lining fabric.
Here are the various-angle shots of the thing:
And here it is on its hanger - it's easier to analyze it this way than while it's being worn by and spun about on a wiggly child.
Hoodies are so easy to make, and come together so quickly. The thing that took the longest to do was the pocket. Most fiddly was getting it lined up exactly on both sides of the zipper. It's still a bit off, but it'll do.
The features of this hoodie are the same as the one I made for Emily last fall - fleece outer, knit lining with kangaroo pockets self-bound by the pocket facing,
full front zipper
and lined hood.
Also fully lined the entire garment so it is technically reversible (except the zipper isn't). This also means I didn't use the serger at all to make this. All the raw edges are tucked away in between the two layers. I think I would make every garment this way if the design allowed it. Lined garments are so cool.
Two differences (between this hoodie and Emily's) worth mentioning: One, I finally remembered to hem the sleeves properly, which I didn't do for Emily's. Except I remembered only after I'd sewn almost everything up and so had to do the sleeves by hand. Not the end of the world. Besides, I quite like hand-sewing bits of garments anyway.
Two, this was a raglan-sleeve design, rather than the previous set-in-sleeve one. No reason other than to vary the style a bit and have an excuse to incorporate fake piping.
So now Jenna has a hoodie for school. Hurrah. Her only comment upon receiving it was, "Oh... it's so soft!" I took that as a compliment because it means she will actually wear it!