It occurred to me today that while Kate is making some nice progress with her New Year's Resolution:
I am not.
I am being beaten to a pulp by my toddler!
So I made a grand plan -
1 Write motivational messages to myself:
2 Make lists
with Post-its (because then it's sure to work, right?).
3 Copy other people who have nicer-looking visible stashes than mine i.e. any quilter featured on Sew Mama Sew. The prevailing method of organization, it seems, is to sort by color. So shall it be!
You know what?
Color isn't working for me. Maybe it works for a quilting stash, in which everything is cotton.
My stash has duckcloth, georgette, vintage lace, nylon packcloth, atheletic mesh, fleece, knits, felt, corduroy, ikat, batik, chiffon, tafetta, satin, velour, interfacing and old twill bedsheets. And that's not counting the bizarre assortment from my teenagehood that I shipped from Singapore when we moved here.
New plan: throw everything out again and organize according to function:
- Shelf 1 for non-clothes
- Shelf 2 for clothes
- Shelf 3 for cotton (the sort I buy on impulse during Fabric.com sales against my better judgement but never sew anything with).
The goal is still to make everything visible so I will use it. Otherwise it ends up like a tupperware full of fuzzy grey stuff at the back of my fridge. Time for a new motivational message: People who organize their
crud stash will get to avoid the Fridge Fungus Fabric Phenomenon! (Say that 10 times, fast.)
Ding ding ding! on to Round 2!