A sun hat for Emily.
Been meaning to make her one since early spring, when we dug into our summer gear store (and made that picnic mat) and discovered that she'd outgrown her old hats. Seeing all the bucket hats people have been making reminded me that I should hurry up and make hers before it's winter again.
This was a quick project, which means it is more practical than fun, but it was nice in that it was done in less than 24 hours (rare, around here). I grabbed Emily and measured her head yesterday, drafted the pattern and cut out the fabric and interfacing last night, and sewed it up today.
Emily asked me to make it reversible. She's used to me making things reversible, I guess.
This is one side
and this is the other.
Oddly, Emily actually prefers the striped side (I thought she would've liked like the flowers more).
The skinny hat band was completely ornamental - it was just an excuse to add another fabric.
As far as I know, this is the only hat I need to sew this year, unless I decide I need one. The other two girls have no interest in hats whatsoever.
In case you're going to ask:
- the floral twill is a P Kaufman thing I found in the upholstery section of Mill End Textiles,
- the dots and stripes are coordinating home dec fabrics from JoAnn,
- the solids are duckcloth,
- I only interfaced the brim and that was with heavy sew-in interfacing,
- I am not doing a tutorial or pattern because there are tutorials and patterns all over the internet and from sewing books if you need one. I drew my pattern using geometry - lots of arcs in this pattern. Fun.
Back again in response to reader's queries about hat assembly. I don't own any of the hat patterns that some of you are using or have read about, so I don't know what assembly method/ sequence was recommended. This is how I did mine: essentially, I made two separate completed hats and then joined them together at the brim edge, specifically:
- For each hat, I sewed the sides of the side band together to form a tube.
- Then I sewed the crown tip (circle thing at the top) to it.
- Then I sewed the two pieces of the brim together to form a flat donut-ish thing.
- Then I sewed the brim to the side band to make a complete hat. So now I had two separate hats.
- Next, I turned one hat inside out and set it inside the other, so that their right sides were together. I sewed all around the edge of the brim. Yes, ALL around, leaving NO opening.
- Then (this part is important) I ironed the brim edge seam open, and unpicked about 3" of this seam, reinforcing the ends by back-stitching.
- Then I turned the entire hat right side out through that opening. The brim edge was curved, so the ironing in the previous step will give you a neat and exact curved opening that will perfectly line up in both layers (since it was actually sewn together before being unpicked open).
- Top-stitch all along the edge of the brim, closing the opening in the process. Now you have two separate hats in a reversible configuration, attached only at the edge of their brims.
- Sew a spiral through both layers of the brim, about 1/4" -1/2"apart, starting from the edge of the brim and going all around towards the seam joining the brim to the side band. When the spiral is complete, the hat will be fully attached over its entire brim and will "separate" (if you want to pull the layers apart for fun, I mean) only in the side band/crown region.
So that's how I assembled my hat. It made sense to me, it was straightforward and untricky and even beginner sewers could do it. And I didn't have to hand-stitch or baste any part of it. Just act nice to your seam rippers because their role is quite important (and deliberate) in this method. I left out all the decorative top-stitching bits in the assembly process above, because it was all purely decorative. In other words, none of the top-stitching, except for that on the brim itself (see steps 8 and 9), served any attachment purposes.
I hope this helps with assembling your own hats, regardless of which pattern you're using.